In the early 1900’s, the developer George F. Johnson, acquired a piece of property which sat at the southern end of Riverside Drive and 72nd Street overlooking Riverside Park and the Hudson River. The sweeping views of the 191 acre park and the winding shoreline of the river became the perfect location for an upscale apartment building that would successfully lure wealthy residents. A finely appointed residential building was designed by architect, John E. Scharsmith and came to be known as the Chatsworth. The 12 story red brick and limestone trim façade Beaux Art beauty, topped with a mansard roof, is lavishly adorned with an array of hand sculpted figures that feature cherubs, fruit and stags.
When it opened in 1904, it had 66 “housekeeping units,” some as large as 15 rooms. Residents were offered a broad spectrum of services including a café, a barber shop and hair-dressing parlor, valet and tailor services and a billiard room. There was a sun parlor which ran across the entire top floor of the building. Scharsmith designed a smaller annex immediately adjacent to the building and it was added in 1906.
In later years, as was common for the neighborhood, the apartments were subdivided into smaller units, but it was always maintained as a rental building. Now it is undergoing a condo conversion. The entrance with its intricate metal work and ornate ceiling and the lobby’s skylight and hand carved walnut paneling have recently been restored. Many of the apartments have been re-combined to create large grand spaces and new amenities such as a lounge room, game room, children’s playroom and gym have been added. Here is a link to building website: http://thechatsworth.com/chatsworth/history/
Here is a link to building website: http://thechatsworth.com/chatsworth/history/
If you enjoyed this post, please feel free to share it.