Photo by Frances Page
The Red House, completed in 1904, is located on West 85th Street between West End Avenue and Riverside Drive. The work of the architectural firm of Harde and Short, it is a distinctive six story red brick and white terra cotta building with bold multi-paneled black painted windows, adorned with dripping Gothic screens and a terra cotta salamander & crown cartouche. The center is recessed behind a triple arched entryway. The partnership of Herbert Spencer Harde and R. Thomas Short was formed in 1901. After the completion of the Red House, they went on to design several other notable buildings that include The Studio Apartments at 44 West 77th, The Alwyn Court Apartments on Broadway and 58th Street and 45 East 66th Street, at Madison Avenue. This rental building is composed primarily of studios and one bedrooms. The Red House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.